Our research collaboration has closely studied whether and how policy and development programming can support the objectives of inclusive political and economic growth in Nepal as it transitioned to a federal state. Now, as Nepal successfully completes two rounds of elections under a new system of governance, our research projects will explore Nepal's democracy along three connected dimensions: political inclusion, community-based development programs and sustainable economic development. Specific research activities will include large-scale field and phone surveys to understand overall progress on the three dimensions and variation in progress across municipalities, the analysis of administrative and secondary datasets, and collaborations with Nepalese counterparts to design evaluations of specific programs to build more practical evidence on what works, what does not and why, in this new context.
We are looking for a Research Associate to support this work. The job will be based out of Kathmandu, along with frequent travel to other parts of Nepal.
In collaboration with the research and senior project teams, the Research Associate will be required to:
- Conduct data cleaning and analysis of multiple primary and secondary data sources.
- Seek out and collect administrative data from partners and government agencies.
- Assist in the design and field-testing of scoping and survey instruments.
- Support the day-to-day implementation of field-based research including scoping, surveying,field staff recruitment, training & supervision.
- Support with writing research outputs such as policy briefs, research articles, etc.
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of concept notes, policy briefs and research projects.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with officials at all three spheres of government, policy and program partners in academia, civil society etc., as requested.
- Others, as required
What are we looking for in the candidate:
- Bachelor's degree with at least 1 year of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics, political economy, political science, or a related field. Field experience is a plus.
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Nepali and English languages.
- Proficiency in Stata and/or other statistical tools and the Microsoft Office suite.
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly and frequently to other parts of the country.
- Master's degree in economics, political economy, political science, or a related field,
- Experience with data based research in Stata and/or other statistical tools is highly desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with partners at various levels.
- Additional local language skills (apart from English and Nepali).
- Prior experience with external stakeholder engagement such as government, donors, development agencies, and/or political parties.
What we offer
- A dynamic and engaging environment within our office in Kathmandu and with internationally acclaimed researchers.
- A competitive salary by local standards.
- Regular travel within Nepal.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please fill out the form here :
In the subject line, put “Research Associate, Kathmandu" followed by your first and last name (e.g., “XXX – Sabina Nepali ) and attach the following documents. All documents must be compiled in a single file, in the same order and saved in PDF format:
- Cover letter (one page max)
- CV (two pages max)
- Academic transcripts from all degrees received
- A writing sample